You can add helping lower Canada’s unemployment rate to one of the lowest levels ever recorded last month to the impressive list of things cannabis can do. New data shows that the country’s unemployment rate is that the lowest it’s ever been, and many people are pointing to cannabis legalization being the source of all the new jobs in Canada.
The Data of It All
Employment data released by Statistics Canada shows the unemployment rate in Canada fell by 0.2% in November. That put the overall unemployment rate at 5.6%. This was the lowest that it has ever been since unemployment data began being collected in 1976. The same report showed statistics that six provinces in Canada had increased employment rates and that the private job sector was seeing the most substantial growth.
The cannabis industry offers all types of opportunities for those looking to make a career out of this incredible plant. Statistics Canada reported that 58% of the jobs in the legal cannabis sector were agricultural possessions. The other 42% of jobs were allocated between professions such as retail, educational service, and healthcare. The average worker earned roughly $30 an hour which is slightly above the national average.
Other Interesting Stats
Men reportedly make up 79% of the workforce in the cannabis industry while women account for the other 21%. The average age for employees is around 35 years old in the cannabis sector. When Canada legalized adult use recreational cannabis back on October 17th of 2018 many dispensaries ran out of weed. The demand is so high that dispensaries are still not able to stock their shelves with the products they want. Instead, they have to settle for what they can get.
Cannabis is in high demand in Canada, and this demand is helping to create more jobs than ever before. As result unemployment rates are the lowest, they’ve ever been, and the future is looking better thanks to the new legal market for cannabis.